Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Star Wars Geek

I am a Star Wars geek. OK, so this may be something you already knew about me, but just in case you didn't, here is the run down of how bad it is.

I was a big fan of Star Wars as a kid. I even remember seeing the Empire Strikes Back in the theater and I am pretty sure the Wampa scared me. (The Wampa is the Ice Monster that attacks Luke and his Ton Ton on the planet Hoth at the beginning of the movie.) Some people (my little brother Mike) watched movies like Annie over and over again. Not me. For me, it was Star Wars. With toy gun in hand and pretending to be a Rebel Trooper, I would get down behind the couch and shoot the Storm Troopers as they stormed their way into the Rebel blockade runner.

I still have a Snow Speeder and two action figures from when I was a kid. Of course its in poor condition as I played with it a lot. I have added several original toys to my collection including an AT-AT Walker, Darth Vader's Tie Fighter, two more beat up Snow Speeders, a beat up Millennium Falcon and all of the action figures of the main characters. None of which Saxon is allowed to play with.

My collection doesn't end with toys. It includes 6 or 7 shirts, the best of which is my "Vader was framed" shirt. At one point we had two separate copies of Star Wars on VHS and another copy on DVD. One of the VHS copies was my wife's before we got married. I took it as a sign that I had to marry her. It also helped that she was(and still is) totally hot. Of everything that I have collected, my favorite piece would have to be my Light Saber. Its not the $20 ones you get at Walmart and let your kids play with. Its the collectors edition and is about as close to the real thing as you can get.

For Halloween I have even dressed up in full Star Wars costume as Darth Maul twice and Darth Vader once. My kids have dressed up as Darth Vader, Princess Leia, and Yoda, and my wife as Queen Amidala.

And apparently it's genetic as my son is an even bigger fan of Star Wars than me. All he ever wants for Christmas and B-days is Star Wars toys. I think we ran out of things to buy him. The kid's got like 12 light sabers.

I must admit, Star Wars makes me feel young. And to be able to share that with my kids is great too. Now if I could just find someone to play Star Wars Trivial Pursuit with. (Yes, I own it and am willing to take on any challengers.)

No comments: