Sunday, May 25, 2008

A Large Box

QUESTION: What does one do with a box large enough to fit a full grown 6'3" man inside?

ANSWER: Put a full grown 6'3" man inside, leave the box on unsuspecting doorsteps and wait for the fun to begin. So thats just what we did.

While in college and living at Liberty Square, my roommates and I were hanging out at the apartment of a group of girls that we knew, some of whom had just moved in. One of the girls had moved some of her stuff to the apartment in a very large Rubber Maid bin. Seeing the large empty bin, I thought to myself, "I wonder if I can fit in there?" After discovering that I could, the next question was, "What can we do with it?"

We just happened to know the apartment of girls across the hall. So we took the box, put it on their doorstep, and after I had climbed inside, my roommate put the lid on, rang the doorbell and then hid around the corner.

After opening the door, the girls cautiously looked at the box, wondering what was inside and why was it on their doorstep. As they got closer to the box I scratched the side and the girls let out a shriek. Eventually curiosity got the best of them and they built up enough courage to open the lid. Upon opening the lid I popped out of the box and surprised them. Their fear quickly turned to laughter when they realized it was me.

It had worked so well that we had to try it again. In fact, we spent most of the rest of the night going from one apartment to the next leaving me in the box on random girl's doorsteps. And yes, as college boys would do, we only left the box on girl's doorsteps.

Each time the reaction was generally the same involving curiosity, fear, courage and finally laughter. On the doorsteps of the people I didn't know, when asked "How did you get in the box?" I would play dumb and reply that I couldn't remember how I had gotten in the box. After a brief conversation on the doorstep, and often an invitation to come in and hang out, we would move on to the next unsuspecting victim.

As it turns out, it was probably a good thing that we were having so much fun and passed up the opportunities to hang out, as a I had not yet met my wife. A few months later, in the same apartment complex, fate intervened and I met my beautiful wife as I came down the stairs from a friends house.

No comments: